Comments

35 comments from 2009
Yearly Comment Archives   2017 2016 2015 2014 2013 2012 2011 2010 2009
Post: 1Post ID:  00201
Date: April 09, 2009 9:04 pm EST     Posted: 8 years ago

Welcome to Stubby.ca - Comments

I have decided to add a comment section to my website so that questions and comments can be shared with all viewers. You can click on the "Post your comment" button below to add a comment and I will also post any emails I receive with an answer.

Back to TopPost by Submission by email
Post: 2Post ID:  00202
Author: Submission by emailEmail:
Website: Location:
Date: April 09, 2009 9:05 pm EST     Posted: 8 years ago

We found a bottle of Club beer, stubby bottle. Yes, found it in the wall of our house, built right into the wall. The stamp on the glass says 83, does that mean it was made in 1983?

My husband thinks it could be drinkable, I am thinking not, unless he is joking.

Jenn
Post: 3Post ID:  00203
Date: April 09, 2009 9:06 pm EST     Posted: 8 years ago

In response to post #2.

Hello Jenn

I'm not sure about the date stamp, but I do think it is the year. Not all bottles has the year so I think it may have been introduced later on. The beer is not drinkable ... you might notice lots of junk floating inside if you give it a a shake and it might smell like vinegar. I emptied some old cans of Canadian beer and most of them smelled like vinegar.

Back to TopPost by Submission by email
Post: 4Post ID:  00207
Author: Submission by emailEmail:
Website: Location:
Date: April 10, 2009 2:08 am EST     Posted: 8 years ago

Leonard,

I've prepared some home brew and would like to store it in stubby style bottles. I can't seem to find them for sale anywhere. I'm looking for 100 bottles. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Eddie
Post: 5Post ID:  00208
Date: April 10, 2009 2:12 am EST     Posted: 8 years ago

In response to post #4.

Hello Eddie

The only option I think you have is to contact the Brick Brewery in Ontario and ask them were they get their stubbies from. My experience with trying to buy plastic bottles is that the supplier will not want to deal with a small retail sale of 100 bottles.

Or maybe you could try one of those return bottle depots in Ontario.

Back to TopPost by dave
Post: 6Post ID:  00209
Author: daveEmail: vanman1969@gmail.com
Website: Location:
Date: April 14, 2009 3:04 am EST     Posted: 8 years ago

soda pop stubby

Hello would anyone remember a soda pop company from the early 70's that bottled in stubby bottles?
Post: 7Post ID:  00210
Date: April 14, 2009 12:52 pm EST     Posted: 8 years ago

Re: soda pop stubby

In response to post #6.

Hello Dave .... In Canada there was The Pop Shoppe. According to their website they were established in 1969 and went out of business in 1983. Peter Pocklington tried to buy them in 1978, but looks like the owners wouldn't sell to him.

The Pop Shoppe has just recently been revived and is now using a long necked bottle. Their website is at: http://www.thepopshoppe.com

I believe the bottles pictured above were the stubby style bottles they used back in the 70's and early 80's. The pop was good and it was very cheap.

Back to TopPost by Alecia
Post: 8Post ID:  00211
Author: AleciaEmail: gotagrip24@hotmail.com
Website: Location: Montana
Date: April 21, 2009 6:16 pm EST     Posted: 8 years ago

does anyone know where I could get my hands an a 6 pack of Olympia Stubbys?
Post: 9Post ID:  00213
Date: April 21, 2009 6:54 pm EST     Posted: 8 years ago

Re: Olympia Stubby

In response to post #8

Hello Alecia....I do not know much about the Olympia Stubby but this site might have some information for you:

Post: 10Post ID:  00215
Date: May 03, 2009 3:59 pm EST     Posted: 8 years ago

New Bottle and Cap Images

I have made some much needed changes to this site. The biggest improvement was replacing the stubby images I took in 2003 with newer - and much better - images I took in 2007. Images of the bottle caps, or crowns as they are also called have been added in the "Stubby Caps" section.

A "About" page has been added with some additional information that may be useful.

Back to TopPost by Owen
Post: 11Post ID:  00217
Author: OwenEmail: kokomis@gmail.com
Website: Location: Pointe-
Date: May 30, 2009 1:41 pm EST     Posted: 8 years ago

Trichter

"La Bolduc" comes in stubbies; it is (was?) made by Unibroue of Chambly (bought by Sleemans). It calls itself "old style" beer - Mary Travers (la Bolduc) was a popular Quebec thirties/ forties patter singer.
Having first brewed in 1975, I am close to my 300th brew with the same set of stubbies (which became unreturnable only last year). The sharp shoulder makes them easy to decant cleanly (a necessity for homebrew - although the dregs make a palatable vitamin B supplement.
Post: 12Post ID:  00218
Date: May 30, 2009 9:33 pm EST     Posted: 8 years ago

La Bolduc

In response to post #11

Hello Owen ..... Thanks for the post mentioning "La Bolduc", I did a Google search and come up with an image for that bottle.

La Bolduc

I also use to brew my own beer and bottle it in the stubby beer bottles, the stubbies were also good for bottling Hires Root Beer from the kits. I didn't know what a trichter was so I Googled it and come up with the image below. Must be another name for a funnel used in bottling beer.

Trichter

Back to TopPost by bjb
Post: 13Post ID:  00219
Author: bjbEmail:
Website: Location:
Date: June 11, 2009 9:49 pm EST     Posted: 8 years ago

I am not certain they can make small lots, but Kelman Canada made the stubby bottles for Brick.
Back to TopPost by Ron B
Post: 14Post ID:  00220
Author: Ron BEmail: rb.sb@shaw.ca
Website: Location: Edmonton
Date: June 17, 2009 11:13 am EST     Posted: 8 years ago

I have an unopened case of Stubby OV. Just wondering if it's worth anything.
Back to TopPost by Chris
Post: 15Post ID:  00221
Author: ChrisEmail: schramy@sympatico.ca
Website: Location: Dresden Ontario Canada
Date: June 17, 2009 6:01 pm EST     Posted: 8 years ago

looking for some info on Heidelburg stub

We found some old Heidelburg stubby bottles and cases in a garage. There are 6 packs, half cases and 24 `s. I can`t seem to find any pictures of this style of stubby.I was just wondering if I sent you a picture, if you could help?
Back to TopPost by
Post: 16Post ID:  00222
Author: Email:
Website: Location:
Date: June 17, 2009 6:22 pm EST     Posted: 8 years ago

Another pop that was bottled in a beer bottle was uncle Ben's pop. It was really cool to drink it and try to fool the cops when you were a kid.
Post: 17Post ID:  00226
Date: June 17, 2009 7:31 pm EST     Posted: 8 years ago

In response to post #13

Hello bjb .... I believe Brick just recently discontinued the stubby.

In response to post #14

Hello Ron .... I would check the completed Ebay auctions to get a good idea what the OV stubbies would be worth.

In response to post #15

Hello Chris .... I assume those Heidelberg bottles are the "barrel" bottles which was a brief experiment by Carling O'Keefe around 1975 in using an alternative bottle to the stubby bottle.

Heidelberg Barrel Bottle (Canada)

In response to post #16

I remember the Uncle Ben's pop in the stubbies also.

Back to TopPost by Chris
Post: 18Post ID:  00227
Author: ChrisEmail:
Website: Location: Ontario Canada
Date: June 18, 2009 5:53 pm EST     Posted: 8 years ago

Thank you for your responce on the Heidelberg "barrel" bottles. I googled and searched e bay, and I still can not find any more information or a value on them. Do you have any suggestions? Thanks again.... Chris.
Post: 19Post ID:  00228
Date: June 18, 2009 7:30 pm EST     Posted: 8 years ago

RE: Heidelberg Barrel Beer Bottle

In response to post #18

Hello Chris .... An Ebay "Heidelberg Beer Bottle" search under the completed auctions brings up one empty Heidelberg barrel bottle with an asking price of $14.99 US Dollars, it did not sell. From what I can remember from past auctions these bottles are not very popular or valuable for collectors.

Heidelberg Beer Bottle on Ebay
Back to TopPost by
Post: 20Post ID:  00229
Author: Email: gmanning9@cogeco.ca
Website: Location: St Catharines
Date: July 01, 2009 12:04 pm EST     Posted: 8 years ago

My husband remembers his grandfather bottling stubby pop in a Thorold ON building. It was call Wilson Pop Works. Does anyone have any history or knowledge of this. He is trying to locate one of the old stubby bottles.
Post: 21Post ID:  00230
Date: July 01, 2009 10:45 pm EST     Posted: 8 years ago

Wilson Pop Works

In response to post #20

I googled "Wilson Pop Works" and couldn't find anything. It must have been a small bottling operation selling the pop only in Ontario.

Back to TopPost by Donna
Post: 22Post ID:  00231
Author: DonnaEmail: donna@heritagebrewing.com
Website: www.heritagebrewing.comLocation: Ottawa ON
Date: July 20, 2009 6:53 pm EST     Posted: 8 years ago

owner

Heritage Brewing in Ottawa as well as Scotch Irish Brewing bottle in stubbys. We are happy to sell used bottles to home brewers at 10 cents per bottle, pick up at brewery. If they email me a couple of weeks before they need them I will make to set some of the returns aside for them.
Last year we sent our stubbys to sea with Students on Ice who dropped them into the ocean currents with messages inside. They are trying to track patterns of ocean currents on their Arctic research trips each year. The stubbys are going again this year because they found that they were quite sturdy. But then we knew that!
Back to TopPost by Mitchell
Post: 23Post ID:  00232
Author: MitchellEmail: mitchellkenn@hotmail.com
Website: Location:
Date: August 12, 2009 8:47 pm EST     Posted: 8 years ago

age?

While cleaning my grandfather's house we found three bottles of unopened Molson Canadian but are unable to date them. They are the same stubbies as photographed in #085 can you shine some light on thier date?
Back to TopPost by Heather & Shari
Post: 24Post ID:  00233
Author: Heather & ShariEmail: rubbchuck911@telus.net
Website: Location: BC
Date: August 25, 2009 5:45 am EST     Posted: 8 years ago

Uncle Ben's Malt Liquor

We were out for a walk and noticed in the bank that was freshly dug three clearly marked Uncle T Ben's bottle caps. Upon dig we found fully intact 12 bottles of Uncle Ben's Malt Liqour. We were wondering the possible age of these bottles which are full of beer!!! We also have two bottles that have partial labels still visable.

Heather & Shari
Back to TopPost by Peter
Post: 25Post ID:  00234
Author: PeterEmail: pjtg@shaw.ca
Website: Location: Cowichan BC
Date: August 30, 2009 9:15 pm EST     Posted: 8 years ago

stubby beer bottles

I have dozens of stubby bottles that need a home. Worth anything to anyone? They'll need washing after years stored in the barn. Mostly without labels as I used to use them for homebrew.
Post: 26Post ID:  00235
Date: August 31, 2009 1:57 am EST     Posted: 8 years ago

Replies to post #23, #24 and #25

In response to post #23 and #24

The Molson Canadian and Uncle Ben's Malt Liqour bottles would be from the mid 1970's.

In response to post #25

You could try Craigslist to see if anyone would want them. http://nanaimo.en.craigslist.ca/

Leonard Whistler
Back to TopPost by dave blackman
Post: 27Post ID:  00236
Author: dave blackmanEmail: blackman.dave@gmail.com
Website: Location: ottawa
Date: September 17, 2009 5:47 pm EST     Posted: 8 years ago

correction to your history of the stubby

You incorrectly state the stubby fell out of use in 1984 when in fact it was used by Labatt Crystal [Ontario's cool, Clear Beer that stays right here!] until Mid 1986.
I know this from personal experience but if you choose not ot take my word for it:
Post: 28Post ID:  00237
Date: September 18, 2009 2:26 am EST     Posted: 8 years ago

RE: Correction to your history of the st

In response to post #27

Hello Dave ....... Thanks for your post. My original date of 1984 came from me estimating the date of the last stubby, I stopped collecting the Stubbies when the breweries stopped using them in British Columbia around 1984.

Next time I edit this site I will change the date from 1984 to 1986.
Back to TopPost by
Post: 29Post ID:  00238
Author: Email:
Website: Location:
Date: October 01, 2009 12:33 am EST     Posted: 7 years ago

What was the price of a case of beer in 1976 in Ontario,Canada.
Post: 30Post ID:  00239
Date: October 01, 2009 7:54 am EST     Posted: 7 years ago

Re: Price of Beer in 1976

In response to post #29

In British Columbia a case of 12 beer was $4.00 back in 1976. Ontario's prices must have been very close.

Leonard Whistler
Back to TopPost by lee binkley
Post: 31Post ID:  00240
Author: lee binkleyEmail: lee_binkley_1@hotmail.com
Website: Location: delhi ontario
Date: October 31, 2009 9:30 pm EST     Posted: 7 years ago

my brother in-law just found a labatt beer bottle with a molson canadian label on it. you can tell that it is a labatt bottle arount the top portion of the stubby it says labatt 3 or 4 times in raised lettering. the bottle has never been opened. just courious on age of bottle and $ value??
thanks Lee
Back to TopPost by Anthony Marco
Post: 32Post ID:  00241
Author: Anthony MarcoEmail: amarco@mountaincable.net
Website: lovehatethings.comLocation: Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Date: November 11, 2009 8:26 am EST     Posted: 7 years ago

Awesome

An absolutely fantastic walk down memory lane. I'm recommending your site to anyone who walks into my basement and sees my collection from numerous childhood camping trips. Cheers!
Back to TopPost by greg
Post: 33Post ID:  00242
Author: gregEmail: greg.marr@toshiba.ca
Website: Location: calgary
Date: November 22, 2009 1:46 am EST     Posted: 7 years ago

great photo's Len. Is the number 283 the complete listing of every stubby ever produced by major Cdn breweries? you say you don't buy or sell... if you change your mind let me know!
Post: 34Post ID:  00243
Date: December 06, 2009 9:56 am EST     Posted: 7 years ago

In response to post #33

Hello Greg ......... 283 is the number of stubby bottles I have in my collection. I only collected them from about 1976 to 1983, and I would guess that there must be at least 1000 different stubby labels.

I doubt I will ever get into collection them again and my collection is stored away for now.

Back to TopPost by greg
Post: 35Post ID:  00244
Author: gregEmail: greg.marr@toshiba.ca
Website: Location:
Date: December 11, 2009 3:58 am EST     Posted: 7 years ago

thanks for enumerating the total available bottles... you did very well getting to 283. let me know if you ever want to part with some. I myself am up to 12 or so... long way to go to catch up to you! merry christmas.