Comments

19 comments from 2009
Yearly Comment Archives   2018 2017 2016 2015 2014 2013 2012 2011 2010 2009
Post: 1Post ID:  00201
Date: April 10, 2009 4:04 am EST     Posted: 10 years ago

Welcome to Stubby.ca - Comments

I have decided to add a comment section to my website so that questions and comments can be shared with all viewers. You can click on the "Post your comment" button below to add a comment and I will also post any emails I receive with an answer.

Back to TopPost by Submission by email
Post: 2Post ID:  00202
Author: Submission by emailEmail:
Website: Location:
Date: April 10, 2009 4:05 am EST     Posted: 10 years ago

We found a bottle of Club beer, stubby bottle. Yes, found it in the wall of our house, built right into the wall. The stamp on the glass says 83, does that mean it was made in 1983?

My husband thinks it could be drinkable, I am thinking not, unless he is joking.

Jenn
Post: 3Post ID:  00203
Date: April 10, 2009 4:06 am EST     Posted: 10 years ago

In response to post #2.

Hello Jenn

I'm not sure about the date stamp, but I do think it is the year. Not all bottles has the year so I think it may have been introduced later on. The beer is not drinkable ... you might notice lots of junk floating inside if you give it a a shake and it might smell like vinegar. I emptied some old cans of Canadian beer and most of them smelled like vinegar.

Back to TopPost by Submission by email
Post: 4Post ID:  00207
Author: Submission by emailEmail:
Website: Location:
Date: April 10, 2009 9:08 am EST     Posted: 10 years ago

Leonard,

I've prepared some home brew and would like to store it in stubby style bottles. I can't seem to find them for sale anywhere. I'm looking for 100 bottles. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Eddie
Post: 5Post ID:  00208
Date: April 10, 2009 9:12 am EST     Posted: 10 years ago

In response to post #4.

Hello Eddie

The only option I think you have is to contact the Brick Brewery in Ontario and ask them were they get their stubbies from. My experience with trying to buy plastic bottles is that the supplier will not want to deal with a small retail sale of 100 bottles.

Or maybe you could try one of those return bottle depots in Ontario.

Back to TopPost by dave
Post: 6Post ID:  00209
Author: daveEmail: vanman1969@gmail.com
Website: Location:
Date: April 14, 2009 10:04 am EST     Posted: 10 years ago

soda pop stubby

Hello would anyone remember a soda pop company from the early 70's that bottled in stubby bottles?
Post: 7Post ID:  00210
Date: April 14, 2009 7:52 pm EST     Posted: 10 years ago

Re: soda pop stubby

In response to post #6.

Hello Dave .... In Canada there was The Pop Shoppe. According to their website they were established in 1969 and went out of business in 1983. Peter Pocklington tried to buy them in 1978, but looks like the owners wouldn't sell to him.

The Pop Shoppe has just recently been revived and is now using a long necked bottle. Their website is at: http://www.thepopshoppe.com

I believe the bottles pictured above were the stubby style bottles they used back in the 70's and early 80's. The pop was good and it was very cheap.

Back to TopPost by Alecia
Post: 8Post ID:  00211
Author: AleciaEmail: gotagrip24@hotmail.com
Website: Location: Montana
Date: April 22, 2009 1:16 am EST     Posted: 9 years ago

does anyone know where I could get my hands an a 6 pack of Olympia Stubbys?
Post: 9Post ID:  00213
Date: April 22, 2009 1:54 am EST     Posted: 9 years ago

Re: Olympia Stubby

In response to post #8

Hello Alecia....I do not know much about the Olympia Stubby but this site might have some information for you:

Post: 10Post ID:  00215
Date: May 03, 2009 10:59 pm EST     Posted: 9 years ago

New Bottle and Cap Images

I have made some much needed changes to this site. The biggest improvement was replacing the stubby images I took in 2003 with newer - and much better - images I took in 2007. Images of the bottle caps, or crowns as they are also called have been added in the "Stubby Caps" section.

A "About" page has been added with some additional information that may be useful.

Back to TopPost by Owen
Post: 11Post ID:  00217
Author: OwenEmail: kokomis@gmail.com
Website: Location: Pointe-
Date: May 30, 2009 8:41 pm EST     Posted: 9 years ago

Trichter

"La Bolduc" comes in stubbies; it is (was?) made by Unibroue of Chambly (bought by Sleemans). It calls itself "old style" beer - Mary Travers (la Bolduc) was a popular Quebec thirties/ forties patter singer.
Having first brewed in 1975, I am close to my 300th brew with the same set of stubbies (which became unreturnable only last year). The sharp shoulder makes them easy to decant cleanly (a necessity for homebrew - although the dregs make a palatable vitamin B supplement.
Post: 12Post ID:  00218
Date: May 31, 2009 4:33 am EST     Posted: 9 years ago

La Bolduc

In response to post #11

Hello Owen ..... Thanks for the post mentioning "La Bolduc", I did a Google search and come up with an image for that bottle.

La Bolduc

I also use to brew my own beer and bottle it in the stubby beer bottles, the stubbies were also good for bottling Hires Root Beer from the kits. I didn't know what a trichter was so I Googled it and come up with the image below. Must be another name for a funnel used in bottling beer.

Trichter

Post: 13Post ID:  00226
Date: June 18, 2009 2:31 am EST     Posted: 9 years ago

In response to post #13

Hello bjb .... I believe Brick just recently discontinued the stubby.

In response to post #14

Hello Ron .... I would check the completed Ebay auctions to get a good idea what the OV stubbies would be worth.

In response to post #15

Hello Chris .... I assume those Heidelberg bottles are the "barrel" bottles which was a brief experiment by Carling O'Keefe around 1975 in using an alternative bottle to the stubby bottle.

Heidelberg Barrel Bottle (Canada)

In response to post #16

I remember the Uncle Ben's pop in the stubbies also.

Post: 14Post ID:  00228
Date: June 19, 2009 2:30 am EST     Posted: 9 years ago

RE: Heidelberg Barrel Beer Bottle

In response to post #18

Hello Chris .... An Ebay "Heidelberg Beer Bottle" search under the completed auctions brings up one empty Heidelberg barrel bottle with an asking price of $14.99 US Dollars, it did not sell. From what I can remember from past auctions these bottles are not very popular or valuable for collectors.

Heidelberg Beer Bottle on Ebay
Post: 15Post ID:  00230
Date: July 02, 2009 5:45 am EST     Posted: 9 years ago

Wilson Pop Works

In response to post #20

I googled "Wilson Pop Works" and couldn't find anything. It must have been a small bottling operation selling the pop only in Ontario.

Post: 16Post ID:  00235
Date: August 31, 2009 8:57 am EST     Posted: 9 years ago

Replies to post #23, #24 and #25

In response to post #23 and #24

The Molson Canadian and Uncle Ben's Malt Liqour bottles would be from the mid 1970's.

In response to post #25

You could try Craigslist to see if anyone would want them. http://nanaimo.en.craigslist.ca/

Post: 17Post ID:  00237
Date: September 18, 2009 9:26 am EST     Posted: 9 years ago

RE: Correction to your history of the st

In response to post #27

Hello Dave ....... Thanks for your post. My original date of 1984 came from me estimating the date of the last stubby, I stopped collecting the Stubbies when the breweries stopped using them in British Columbia around 1984.

Next time I edit this site I will change the date from 1984 to 1986.
Post: 18Post ID:  00239
Date: October 01, 2009 2:54 pm EST     Posted: 9 years ago

Re: Price of Beer in 1976

In response to post #29

In British Columbia a case of 12 beer was $4.00 back in 1976. Ontario's prices must have been very close.

Post: 19Post ID:  00243
Date: December 06, 2009 5:56 pm EST     Posted: 9 years ago

In response to post #33

Hello Greg ......... 283 is the number of stubby bottles I have in my collection. I only collected them from about 1976 to 1983, and I would guess that there must be at least 1000 different stubby labels.

I doubt I will ever get into collection them again and my collection is stored away for now.

www.000webhost.com